September 11, 2005

My journey in the game of golf...

For those of you who are unfamiliar with my golfing history, here's a reader's digest version:

1. I began playing golf when I was three years old.
2. I was consistently shooting in the high 80's when I was 11 years old.
3. In my teens, I averaged 73 for eighteen holes.
4. When I was 18 years old, I wanted to turn pro. However, my dad had different plans for my life.
5. From age 21 to age 40, I played golf three to seven times per year, but was still able to shoot between 74 and 84.
6. In 2002, I shot a 90 for the first time in thirty years. I knew I either had to give the game up or make efforts to shoot better scores.
7. Thanks to friends like Jeff Yurk, Ed and Jean Torres, and Rosalyn Anderson, I have been inspired to practice and play more often.

At the beginning of this year (2005), my scores averaged in the middle to high 80's. As you will see below, I am working my way back down to the high 70's.

A month and a half ago, I bought new equipment and boy what a difference! (Bridgestone J33R driver and 3 wood, a customized set of Cleveland TA-2 Irons and a Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Mallet 2 Putter).

My goal for the end of this year is to consistently shoot in the high 70's on every course I play in Southern California.

In December, I am going to treat myself for all my hard work this year by attending a three day short game golf school:

http://aviaragolfacademy.com/curriculum-and-tuition.asp

Here are some of my recent 18 hole golf scores:

Torrey Pines GC North Course - July 4, 2005

84
---

Torrey Pines GC North Course - July 8, 2005

76
---

East Lake Country Club - July 17, 2005

77
---

Maderas Country Club - July 22, 2005

79
---

East Lake Country Club - August 5, 2005

80
---

Torrey Pines GC North Course - August 5, 2005

81

* Got my first hole-in-one on this day: Third hole, 7:31-am.
---

Maderas Country Club - August 7, 2005

78
---

Arrowood GC - August 12, 2005

80
---

The Vineyards GC - August 28, 2005

78
---

Doubletree Resort - September 2, 2005

83
---

Knollwood Country Club - September 10, 2005

78

At the end of the year, I hope to give you a positive update on how my scores have come down into the high 70's and have stayed there.

My goal for the summer of 2006 is to consistently bring my scores down into the mid 70's. When this happens, I will once again return to competitive golf. In my youth, I played in a ton of tournaments. I won a few here and there, and became the medalist (low score on the first day) in many of them.

My goal for 2007 is to begin playing professional golf. I would like to join the Pepsi Tour or the Golden State Tour, both are here in California! I doubt I have what it takes to play on the PGA Tour, but who knows.

Roy Harris

1 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Green Star said...

So how's all that worked out, Roy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home